The City of Porto Alegre
The prestigious World Cup 2014 is slated to be held in the beautiful country of Brazil. Twelve chosen major cities will be the playing venue of the renowned cup. Another city host is Porto Alegre (Happy Port).
The city of Porto Alegre is the capital of Rio Grande do Sul (Big River of the South) the most southern city and state in Brazil! The people are known as Gauchos (South American cowboys) sharing some cultural traits with boarder countries of Argentina and Uruguay. The city is known to have the biggest aggregation of urban life in Southern Brazil with 4 million people in the Metropolitan area.
In Porto Alegre the eastern bank of the Rio Guaiba connects to five rivers to form the Lagoa dos Patos, a lagoon port navigated by ships and it has become an important center in Brazil. It caters both to commercial and industrial companies in the country. It has rich soil which is ideal for growing soy which is used in many products. It also manufactures products such as leather, canned beef and rice and exports them to Africa and Japan.
A Newly Reconstructed Stadium
Just as Brazil is known as a football loving country, the city of Porto Alegre likewise will be a great host! It has two historically known clubs: Gremio Club and Sport Club International. Both clubs have impressive records of wins nationally and internationally.
The Beira Rio Stadium is home of the Sports Club International. Currently, the mighty stadium is under restoration and development in preparation to host games of the prestigious 2014 World Cup. The project is called “Gigante Para Sempre” (Giant Forever). The renovations will include a roof covering the stands, easier entrance ramps, and parking lots to host over 50,000 fans! The Gigante Para Sempre will host 5 games in June.
Here is a picture of the new stadium design: Click Here For Picture
Looking for World Cup tickets to a match in Porto Alegre? Click Here To Buy Tickets
Some Sights to See
• Monumento aos Acorianons: This monument stands 17 meters high and was made in commemoration of the people from the island of Azores who were known to be the first settlers of the city of Porto Alegre.
• Usina do Gasometro: This is an old power plant created in 1928 and was restored to be a center of movie theaters and art expositions.
• Parque Moinhos de Vento: This park is known to locals as the Parcao. This venue is a great place for jogging along runways beside the neat lake.
• Parque Farroupilha: This park is located near the Araujo Viana Auditorium, is the venue to host numerous political functions and music concerts. It is also a favorite place for people on Sundays where antiques are found on the side street.
• Bourbon Shopping Wallig: This is known to be the largest mall in Latin America, and the newest family of malls in Porto Alegre.
• Shopping Total: This shopping center was build beside an old beer factory and has a lot of stores, a supermarket and fancy restaurants.
• Brazilian Barbecue “Churrasco”: Porto Alegre is known for its night life and restaurants. It is where the famous Brazilian barbecue Churrasco originated, where skewers of all types of meat are served until you can’t eat anymore.
Porto Alegre is a great city destination for your World Cup games and tourism! A city with two of Brazil’s historic football clubs, and experience the unique gaucho culture and food!
Also see: Porto Alegre Hotels – World Cup
Brought to you by: World Cup Brazil 2014